[thelist] Session Variables are Getting Assassinated :-\

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Mon Mar 3 15:35:01 CST 2003

I've been doing some more testing with this; I started keeping track of
session ID's to see where it breaks and here's the story line:

1. Enter the home page, select a region A.
   sessionID = 501184197
2. Select Test Page. Test page confirms ID
   sessionID = 501184197
3. Return to home page:
   session.abandon
4. Select region C.
   sessionID = 501184198
5. Select Test Page. Test page confirms ID
   sessionID = 501184198
6. Return to home page:
   session.abandon
7. Reselect region A.
   sessionID = 501184197    uh oh this is supposed to be a new ID
8. Select Test Page, Test page reveals new ID
   SessionID = 501184199

After returning to region A showing the older ID (step 7) I hit the page
refresh and wow, the new ID appears ...199. The rest of the site works
again.

I added the HTTP directive to my entry pages (Step 1, 4, and 7):
<META HTTP-Equiv="Cache-Control" Content="no-cache">
   and this didn't fix my problem

I also check my IIS settings and they are explicitly set to "Do Not Cache
ASP pages", also didn't fix my problem.

I added session.abandon before any code on my entry page (Step 1, 4, and 7)
and the site broke immediately. I'm starting to think this wasn't a good
design. But the befits are maintaining 1 site verses maintaining 4 sites.

So to recap, I have to refresh the entry page to get force a new session ID.
Is there a directive to request a new sessionID? or another solution
perhaps?

Thanks ya'll,

Rob