[thelist] Macromedia.com redesigned

John Handelaar john at evolt.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 17:00:01 CST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 22:44, John Dowdell wrote:
> At 2:16 PM 3/5/3, John Handelaar wrote:
> >>
> >> Accessibility: Are you using a particular screen reader? or which sensory
> >> modality, in particular, do you wish transformed into which other sensory
> >> modality?
> >
> >Well, how about Galeon 1.2 (Gecko) on Linux with
> >Flash Player 6?  Locks up completely before
> >finishing 'building' whatever it's building.
>
> Galeon is a GNOME web browser. It's not a text-to-speech reader.

It's a wrapper for Gecko, a standard browser engine.  And
your site doesn't work in it.  But sure - evidently when
you asked for feedback you were just kidding.

I'd have sent it myself, but like I say, neither my main
browser nor Lynx can access macromedia.com at all.

> If you're trying to change the subject to "I can't see that site in an
> unexpected browser" then that's possible... that particular site is now
> tuned to the needs of the people who use the tools sold there.

You're right.  It's entirely impossible that I might want
to be able to see Flash content using your own plugin under
Gecko, or buy your products, or develop in ColdFusion.

Way to completely ignore the point about it not working
in Lynx either, btw.

And since when was accessibility restricted to screen
readers?  I'm finding it pretty sodding inaccessible at the
moment.  There are lots of other users in the same situation.
It's COMPLETELY unnecessary.  And (since you didn't give a
toss the first time, I'll slow down for you):

If.
Some.
Users.
Can't.
Read.
Your.
Site,

Macromedia.
Will.
LOSE.
MONEY.

If Macromedia itself can't disprove the point, what the hell
chance does it have of convincing the rest of us to try?

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8459 4923       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com