[thelist] linked css file in IE4

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 6 09:56:00 CST 2003

>OH MY GOD!
>
>That was it. Did you discover this by accident?

Yes, completely by accident. I can't remember all the details, but I saw a
similar problem in IE4, started removing blocks of styles to see which one
caused the problems and finally, after two hours of trying, found out about
the asterisks.

>It never would have occurred to me to even try that. Thank you so much for
>the tip!

Moral of this story: if you've got a really weird problem and normal
solutions don't seem to help, try something weird.

> > Are there lots of comments in your style sheet, using lots of asterisks?
> > Like

> > Long, long ago I had a similar problem, deleted one asterisk from the
>comment line and the style worked in IE4.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
W3C DOM Compatibility Table, expanded & updated
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?version5.html