[thelist] Macromedia.com redesigned

Scott Brady evolt at scottbrady.net
Thu Mar 6 15:45:01 CST 2003

From: jdowdell at macromedia.com (John Dowdell)

>That validator doesn't like EMBED. Real browsers require it. Other real
>browsers require additional HTML handlings. That document will definitely
>not meet platonic specifications.

And that's fine. But, then, should the DTD really be:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> ?

It seems like if you're going to call it XHTML (even transitional), then it should meet that spec, shouldn't it?

Besides, if you look at the validation, it's a lot more than just the EMBED.  Really simple things like saying 'language="JavaScript"' when it should be 'type="text/javascript"'.  Or, the fact that some attributes have capitalization ("onSubmit" instead of "onsumbit" [though, technically, I don't know if "onsubmit" is valid, either]).  And, some missing "alt" tags.

I think we all know that if you want to have your site looking the same in all the browsers, your page won't validate (unless you do browser detection and redirects).  But, I think you can make it as valid as possible (or, accept the fact that as long as it still works in the browesrs, it's ok if it doesn't look exactly right [ *cough* Netscape 4 *cough* ].

Scott