[thelist] tip: making a Flash page validate (was: Macromedia.com redesigned)

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Mar 6 19:54:01 CST 2003

On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 06:22  PM, John Dowdell wrote:
> I'm not up on each detail that each realworld browser prefers which is
> different from the W3C's prescription of what they should instead
> eventually prefer. I know that the validator will cite "impure" when it
> sees EMBED, so I know it will fail the test regardless.

<tip type="Making a Flash page validate" author="Erik Mattheis">

If you document.write the embed tag, the W3C's validation service will
like your page as much as JavaScript enabled browsers that need Flash
in an embed tag.

</tip>

I just put the W3C's seal of approval on my site ... I kinda think it's
funny, as I'm with JD in his very memorable statement here, something
like "You can write code for the W3C or you can write code for your
visitors."

But who knows, maybe I'll keep it there ... after all, part of my
current project involves making a site meet accessibility requirements
and perhaps some potential client would assume Flash developers aren't
interested in anything but ringing bells and blowing whistles.

What is the real point of having that thing on your page? Is it
anything more than marketing?
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>