[thelist] Site Evolution [was] reckless abuse of flash

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri Mar 7 21:09:01 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Paul" <christian at invancouver.com>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 6:37 PM

> This seems like the perfect time to mention The Internet Archive (aka The
> Wayback Machine).
> http://web.archive.org/

One of my favorite sites to track on web.archive.org is yahoo.com.  I use it
as a case study with clients to prove that baby steps are part of being
successful on the web.  Yahoo is one of the top names in all of the web and
they have barely changed the look and feel of the site since day one.  If
you look throughout the years it's amazing how slowly the homepage has
actually evolved.

When a client insists that a radical site redesign will fix everything I 1)
try to convince them that the site will be successful once it's part of the
over business plan, 2) show to explain to them that content is king and that
they MUST add content to the site darn near daily, 3) use yahoo.com as an
example of a "simple is better" approach, 4) try to explain to them that a
working system should be run through the gamut before being modified and
should be modified only when the current system is really understood and
analyzed from a business standpoint.

Don't know why I'm rambling... sorry.

<tip type="Text Arrows" author="Joshua Olson">
The font "Marlett" has the best characters suitable for GUI elements such as
arrows for menus. They are better than webdings, et al, because they have
the most familiar placement and weight at a given font size.  However, the
font is only available on Windows based machines.  Mac users will see the
character in a differnt font.

Eg.

Here's a right arrow: <span style="font-face: marlett">4</span>
</tip>

-joshua