[thelist] Unreasonable host?

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sat Mar 8 10:46:01 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cake" <cake at brothercake.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 11:12 AM

> I've asked our web host to install the Sablotron XSLT extensions for
> PHP; they've never done it before and so they want to setup a test
> server - install, re-compile PHP and test the installation - before
> installing it on our actual server.
>
> Fair enough - but the thing is, they want *us* to pay for the time and
> resources taken in the staging process.  Am I the only who thinks
> they're taking the proverbial, or is that reasonable?

James,

I think that they have an obligation to protect there other clients so I
applaud their approach to protection.  It does seem to be me to a bit over
zealous, though, if the server you want it installed in hosts only your
applications and sites.  If it is a shared environment, and the contract you
signed for hosting warned you of this, then I think it's in their court to
require a test run of the install before letting it free into the wild.
They should be considerate of the costs, of course.  If they are asking an
unreasonable amount of money to do this test then I'd say that they are not
acting in good faith of the contract.  If the cost is reasonable, or the
amount is clearly stated in the contract, then I don't think you have any
ground to stand on, frankly.

If you have the option to change hosts, and they know this, then they should
be willing to work with you on the cost.

Just my 2cents.

-joshua