[thelist] Important admin note re: evolt.org (LONG. Please read.) (was: zip codes)

John Handelaar john at evolt.org.uk
Tue Mar 11 13:14:19 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 18:09, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Someone might want to look into this:
>
> PS From http://evolt.org if I click on "tips" it redirects me to the
> list subscription page. I don't think that's intentional.
>
> PPS http://lists.evolt.org/index.php?content=harvest Does not have any
> information about tip harvesting other than a link at the bottom to the
> URL I just pasted.

Wondered how long it'd take someone to notice...

[Before doing this explanation, I'd ask everyone to
read this note and especially pay attention to the
end of the email.]

We moved all the lists, lists.evolt.org, dir.evolt.org
and the archives (all 250,000 posts) from csi1st.net
(where Ron Dorman and employers have been graciously
offering hosting since last summer) to evolt.org.uk.

Last weekend, a similar move happened to www.evolt.org,
which is currently in the care of Jeff Howden (.jeff).
That also involved porting the CMS running thesite from
Oracle 8 to SQL Server (no political choice for the
database - it's what Jeff has), and was no small effort
on Jeff's part either.

Evolt.org.uk does not run ColdFusion at all.  Therefore
in recent weeks both lists.evolt.org and browsers.evolt.org
have been rewritten in PHP.  Thanks are due to Garrett
Coakley and William Anderson for that effort.

Also dependent on Oracle was the Tip Harvester.  Dean Mah
is fixing that at the moment.  Today he moved the directory
(dir.evolt.org) to the new server.  Tips are next.

People with accounts on members.evolt.org are already
aware that the hosting service is being terminated imminently.
Requests for web and mail forwarding to sysadmin at lists.evolt.org.

I can't speak for the rest of the team, but I'm knackered
after the last few days.  But since almost nobody noticed,
that's OK, I guess.

And now, the important additional message:

This relocation has, among other things, seriously increased
the load on available servers while (fortunately) seriously
decreasing the amount of money required to keep services
running.

*I cannot stress enough* that evolt.org, which I'm sure you'll
agree is one of the most valuable communities we'll ever be a
part of, needs cash donations to survive.

Put it this way - there are several thousand people on thelist.
If TWENTY people pledged  USD 10 per month, we'd have enough
money coming in to continue indefinitely.

Like the message footers say - Please Support the Community That
Supports You.  Tenner a month.  How much more than that do you
make from what you learned here?

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt

OK, that ends the message.  Apologies for the overt plea for
funds, and of course everyone recognises that some people are
more able to donate than others.  But if you can help, please
do.

Thanks for your attention, everyone.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8459 4923       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com