[thelist] width:100% in IE 6 non-quirks mode (was: styling iframe)

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Tue Mar 11 16:23:57 CST 2003

When I have a doctype of

"http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/DTD/xhtml1-
transitional.dtd">

IE 6 considers a 100% width of an element inside the body to go "under"
the vertical scrollbar, therefore creating an unwanted horizontal
scrollbar.

When I take the doctype out, the horizontal scrollbar is gone.

Questions, many, many:

Is that doctype putting IE 6 in quirks or non-quirks mode?
Is that doctype putting Mozilla in quirks or non-quirks mode?

If the answer is the same for the previous question: Why is there no
horizontal scrollbar in Mozilla but there is in IE 6?

How can I get IE 6 to disclude the width of the vertical scrollbar and
still have a doctypoe that will aloow Moz to behave as I want?

WTF am do I feel I have to use a doctype at all for if I just want
things to look like I want them in my target browsers?
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>
Flash and ColdFusion Development