[thelist] IE 6 css handling mystery

Mark Kennedy mark at eurogamer.net
Wed Mar 12 05:04:43 CST 2003

Hi Joe,

It's all a bit of a mystery, innit?  Two things spring immediately to mind:

1) Borders are rendered outside of a content box.  So setting height: 100% and
then adding a border makes the box slightly bigger than 100% (2px bigger).

2) If you're trying to get right up flush to the screen edge with your content,
then you also want set cellspacing="0" since that layout property isn't
accessable through CSS1.  If you're happy to use CSS2 then take a peek at
border-spacing property, and some others too.

Also, I think you can forget setting box properties for the HTML tag - it
doesn't need them and BODY should always be your top level reference.

BTW, have I missed something or is there really HTML4.02 now?

Mark

P.S. I changed your stylesheet to the following and I got the result I think
you're after:

body {
	height: 100%;
	margin:0px;
	padding: 0px;
	text-align:center;
	font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif;
}
.main_table {
	height: 100%; width: 100%;
	border: none;