[thelist] One more request... (freelancer tips)

Sarah poohbear at designshift.com
Thu Mar 13 13:14:36 CST 2003

Tom,

I haven't done a lot of freelance work, but here is what I can contribute:
- word of mouth is a very valuable tool - if everyone you know is aware
that you are available, you never know if they will know someone who knows
someone...
- have business cards you can give to people you meet (this is an extension
of my first point)
- keep in touch with *anyone* you think might be a good contact for getting
you work or introducing you to someone who can
- affiliate yourself with other freelancers, who, if they are too busy to
take on a project may pass it on to you, or may partner with you on a
larger project; they might also make good references
- have a portfolio of your work (including school projects) which you can
show to potential clients
- don't be afraid to list skills that you are just beginning to learn, as
long as you are confident that, in crunch time, you would be able to use
the skills correctly (with a little help from your fellow evolters, of course!)
- the most important thing to remember is that most people like to help
other people out (maybe it makes them feel important ;)), so don't be
afraid to let people know that you're looking for projects/clients

Hopefully my ideas are not total no-brainers. As far as I can tell, these
ideas are what helped me to get projects, which eventually led to
"permanent" employment. I learned ColdFusion on my own in about two weeks
and used it in my first job. When I left that job, I managed to get a
couple of projects using ASP, which I had learned for about three days in
school. Those projects gave me enough experience to get a job using ASP. At
that job, I learned PHP. Eventually, my experience with ColdFusion, ASP,
and PHP got me where I am today - working and happy!

HTH

Sarah