[thelist] Macromedia & "Rich Internet Applications"

John.Bedard at trw.com John.Bedard at trw.com
Fri Mar 14 11:26:59 CST 2003

If a mistake was made by MM, it was trying to make a RIA out of the homepage. A homepage, especially one focused almost solely on marketing is not an "application." And when things go wrong, as we've seen they *really* go wrong.

When I think of an appropriate (IMO) use of RIA I think of the Broadmoor.com site (I have issues with some aspects of the design, but hey, we're talking RIA here). The main function of the site is marketing, much the same as the MM site. But it is mostly HTML based, and they use RIA for the room reservations. It loads quick (unlike MM.com) and has a very functional and streamlined interface. But inevitably a user will have problems (or will have chosen not to install Flash) with the RIA, there is an HTML form to use as a backup.

I love what Flash can do and I've dabbled a bit myself, but what many people here and at Macromedia always seem to forget is that there is a time and a place for everything, Flash included.

Is that better, Tom?

John