[thelist] mysql: monthname results order

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Fri Mar 14 16:54:18 CST 2003

hi dunstan

i replied to this earlier today, but it was via webmail on a
cybercafe computer, and i guess it didn't go through

> SELECT DISTINCT MONTHNAME(date) AS month
> FROM date
> WHERE (date <> '0000-00-00')
> ORDER BY month ASC
>
> At the moment that returns the months in alphabetical order...
> how can I return them in the correct calender order?

here are the suggestions i tried to make:

do not give the same name to both a table and one of its columns

do not use a reserved word (date) as the name of a table or column

do not use a "zero date" -- use a null instead

with these suggestions in mind, try this --

  select distinct
         monthname(thedate) as alphamonth
       , month(thedate) as numericmonth
    from thetable