[thelist] Tutorial - step-by-step Linux install to make server

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Sat Mar 15 19:16:07 CST 2003

Hi folks,

I've looked all over and haven't really found what I
want so I'm asking here.

I have an old box that I want to turn into an internal
(only on my LAN) Linux web-type server. I have Red Hat
(latest) and no experience. I think I can stumble through
this but if anyone could point me to a step-by-step to
make this happen I'd be a really happy camper.

Simple setup:

Win cpu   -> switch -> router -> cablemodem
Win cpu   -> switch
Linux cpu -> switch

All I want is an Linux/Apache/Perl/PHP etc server that's
accessable internally from any Win cpu and looks like an
Internet server, no connection (outgoing) to the outside
world. This Linux box will be totally dedicated, not dual
boot. I have a keyboard/mouse/monitor on this box to get
started but want to remove those and just let it connect
to the LAN and power.

Anything else I need to know at the start would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any URLs,

--
   Hugh