[thelist] Delete all FP Code

noah noah at tookish.net
Wed Mar 19 00:18:11 CST 2003

At 10:28 PM 18/03/2003, Sharon F. Malone wrote:
>On Tuesday, March 18, 2003 6:46 PM, Michele mourned:
> > I do have DW 4 (and 3) as well as my text editor of choice (editplus) at my
> > disposal .. and of course I could cringe and open FP2K too. ;)
>
>Solution: use Includes. They're so easy to do in Front Page and do not
>require a .shtml extension. To assign include files to positions on your
>page, you'll need to be in the FP editor to do that. Any questions, you
>may contact me offlist.

I haven't used FrontPage since FP98, but if the includes still work the way
they used to, you can't use FP's includes unless you're going to be
managing the site with FP.

The includes that FP uses (or at least used to use) are not in fact
"server-side includes" at all, but rather client-side includes (the client
in the case being FrontPage, not the web browser) -- that's why they don't
require a .shtml extension -- the server isn't actually parsing them. Every
time you "Publish" via FP, the contents of the included files are
hard-written to the files in which they're included before the latter are
uploaded. If you were to use a different program to edit or particularly to
upload the files, you might find that the includes don't work because this
writing hasn't taken place.

In case you're looking for them, FP includes have the word "webbot" in them
somewhere, I think. If you're not going to use FP to manage the site,
you'll have to replace them

I haven't dealt with this stuff in a long time,. I'm sure there's someone
with some more up-to-date knowledge who can provide more information.

Cheers,
Noah