[thelist] Errors 404 strange behavior (IIS/PHP) (resubmited)

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Wed Mar 19 07:57:44 CST 2003

stef,

(sorry for the blank one i just sent....its early here)

> Hello all,
>
> At the office I've been using the "personalized errors" in
> IIS and I have it "redirect" to a /error404.php file (my IIS
> speaks french but any english-speaking-IIS user can correct
> and tell us what the exact phrasing is on their server).
>
> By default IIS does not send a correct header, it seems.

that is correct. IIS does not send a 404 when you have the error handler set
to "URL type" which is what you have there.

> I googlised and decided to try to add a header to
> /error404.php like this:
> header("HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found");
>
> But to no avail. IIS seems to somehow 'strip' the headers.

hmmm, are you sending the header before anything else? if the html tag has
been sent down the pipe, its probably too late. make sure you don't have any
HTML before the header call.

good luck,

and now for an unrelated tip

<tip type="communicating with programmers">
When asking a programmer a question, be sure to phrase it in the form of an
equation.

For example, don't ask, "Do you want time for food and a shower before we
have to leave in the morning?"

A programmer will give you a blank stare.

Instead, try asking, "How much time do you want to have before we leave in
the morning?"
</tip>

nagrom
http://morgankelsey.com/