[thelist] XHTML form radio button code not validating

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Thu Mar 20 02:54:55 CST 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:35:14 -0800, Sharon F. Malone wrote:

>     "called" on that some time ago so I stopped. From discussions
>     I've read, using <strong> is sorta like "shouting" at someone,
>     so to speak? And I didn't want to do that. But I will rethink
>     this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
>
> > oh, and what's with the &#160;? why not just use &nbsp;?
>
>     When I did my first XHTML site, I got validation errors using
>     &nbsp; so I switched to using &#160; in order to validate. Think
>     it's because I'm using the UTF-8 char set <meta
>     http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
>     />. That brings up something I'm not clear on. Can I use the
>     iso-8859-1 char set in XHTML 1.0 Transitional? Then I could
>     still use &nbsp;?

Given the origional code, &nbsp; doesn't appear to be being used for
its intended purpose. I would probably approach the problem with
something like this (using an external style sheet of course):

Please contact me regarding a custom quote for Service Coverage:
<label style="margin-right: 3em;">Yes <input type="radio"
  name="customquote" value="yes" checked="checked" tabindex="21" /></label>
<label>No <input type="radio" name="customquote" value="no" />
  </label>

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
"You cannot rewrite history, not one line."