[thelist] XML/XSL query

Brothercake cake at brothercake.com
Thu Mar 20 06:47:23 CST 2003

> I decided that client side XSL is not interesting.
> JavaScript is much more powerful.

Personally, I find client-side uninteresting period; because of lack of
browser support - ie6 and mozilla basically; I don't consider ie5 as
having support because it's implementation is broken (based on a pre-
1.0 spec, to be fair.

> All server side languages now offer XML parsers and
> libraries/modules that perform XML-DOM actions for you,
> so why should the average server side programmer
> switch from his familiar language to XSL?

How about - because XSL is platform and process independent; you can
(for example) build sophisticated data-driven websites using XML and
XSL, then move it from (or share its data and processes between)
Apache/PHP to IIS/ASP, and only have to change *four lines of code* :)