[thelist] Windows to Linux

David Hamilton david63 at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 20 10:32:37 CST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 22:48, Chris Johnston wrote:
> David Hamilton wrote:
>

> > You might also look at using Win4Lin, which creates a windows
> > environment on your linux box. I'm running studio mx this way.
> > david
> >
> I run Mandrake Linux and dual boot with windows just so that I can use
> Dreamweaver. Can you share more details about how you got this setup and
> what distro you are running, etc.

Win4Lin is a product of Netraverse. Basically you get a patched version
of the kernel, run the installation as root then run the setup program
for each user(setting up win98). I run win as an application from my
desktop, it appears to be an actual version of win 98 but uses the
resources of the linux kernel.

I'm running Suse 8.1. Pretty straightforward install,( well, a little
glitch installing win98)
hth
david