[thelist] Tutorial - step-by-step Linux install to make server

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Wed Mar 19 16:18:39 CST 2003

I've looked all over and haven't really found anything
very helpful so I'm asking here.

I have an old box (Compaq PII/75, 64mg RAM, NIC, that I
want to turn into an internal (only on my LAN) Linux
web-type server.

I have Red Hat 8.0 and no experience. I think I can stumble
through this but if anyone could point me to a step-by-step
to make this happen I'd be a really happy camper. BTW, I
can't boot from CD, only floppy, drat Compaq BIOS. And so
far I can't determine the Vid card so I can't get x-windows
running - I'm limited to the command line.

--
   Hugh

Additional info:

Simple setup:

Win cpu   -> switch -> router -> cablemodem
Win cpu   -> switch
Linux cpu -> switch

All I want is an Linux/Apache/Perl/PHP etc server that's
accessable internally from any Win cpu and looks like an
Internet server, not serving through my ISP as a server to
the outside world. This Linux box will be totally dedicated,
not dual boot. I have a keyboard/mouse/monitor on this box
to get started but want to remove those and just let it connect
to the LAN and power.

Anything else I need to know at the start would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any URLs,