[thelist] Apache 2/1.3 differences in performance/server behaviours

Scott Harman scott at enteractiontv.com
Fri Mar 21 03:38:13 CST 2003

Quote Kelly Hallman:
Since everyone seems so sure this is a doomed config, is there something
I can do or try that will demonstrate what is allegedly broken?

Thought it might be wise to spin this off to a separate topic for those
who are interested.

<disclaimer>
I suppose first things first - I'm not a real coder; I'm an engineer and
have had to learn the vagaries of running our webservers and media
servers - and to write the code to make our sites work, so excuse me if
I'm either a little vague, or not particularly clear in my explanations.
</disclaimer>

One of the major differences I've found with Apache 2, is that mod_perl
and mod_php have different methods of interpreting responses from PHP
and perl db modules (in particular php_pgsql)
Seem to be more intermittent problems related to pulling information
back from databases, and how the returned information (logged correctly)
doesn't seem to be rendered correctly by Apache.

I've had some major issues with mod_rewrite, where per-directory
settings are only applied from the main httpd.conf, and over-ride those
set in your virtual hosts.
Now, granted this may down to my screwy configs - but many of my
standard sites have simply failed to run correctly under apache 2.
Another issue seems to have been one of stability - where I run a total
of 15 video intensive sites off one dual 600 PIII server (and one
windows media server) - it's apache 2 for windows.
Not the best idea in the world, but performance under apache 2 was great
when it was running, but virtual hosts would stop being accessed by name
at regular intervals.  Would run quite happily for a month or two - then
bomb.
I've been able to replicate this fault under red hat 8, and mandrake
9rc2.
Now that I'm running 1.3.27 on win2k, and 1.3.26 on mandrake 9 - I've
not seen any of these problems at all.

HTH

Scott