[thelist] Checking Link Relevance

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Fri Mar 21 14:38:07 CST 2003

Bill Haenel wrote:

>Anyone on thelist had to deal with this one before? If so, how do you
handle
>old links, both for validity and relevancy?

Just thinking off the top of my head here, but how about you have a
bot/script check a page or the first x characters of a page, do a checksum,
and then just revisit it occasionally,  perform the checksum, if it's
different or 404s then report it for a quick manual check, if it's approved
then store the new checksum, and (to continue a theme), Bob's your
next-door-neighbours mate.

Kind regards, Liam Delahunty, Mega Products Limited
http://www.megaproducts.co.uk/ web design, programming, e-commerce
http://www.onlinesales.co.uk/ Open Source PHP/MySQL E-commerce App.
http://www.britstream.com/ Hosting/ Domain Names From UKP 7.50 p.a.