[thelist] "muddy" images

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sat Mar 22 13:47:13 CST 2003

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 11:39:31AM -0800, Amy Rynne wrote:
> My first question is if anyone has ever heard of this issue and what they found to resolve it.

http://webmaster.info.aol.com/compgraphics.html
When the AOL caching system detects that an object is an image, it sends
the image through a compression manager on the AOL system network before
caching it. Compression makes images smaller for faster retrieval from the
cache to members. Members can individually disable AOL graphics
compression, but most choose to allow compression because it speeds up web
page delivery.

Determining Compressibility

In order for an image to be compressed, it must have the following
characteristics:

    * The user must have compression turned on.
    * The object must be in the BMP, GIF, JPEG, or Progressive JPEG
    * format.
    * The object size must be between 1KB and 8 MB.

There may be more info on that site somewhere, but at least now you know
what's happening...

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]