[thelist] Layers and Scrollbars on Macs

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 25 06:30:16 CST 2003

>Thanks, I've tried removing the width altogether, but the scrollbar still
>seems to be there (although I'm having to get a friend to test it for me at
>the moment, so can't check myself).
>
>The general consensus seems to be that this 'just happens' on Macs, so
>unless anyone can tell me otherwise I think I'll just have to ignore it?

It can be solved. Usually the horizontal scrollbar appears because some
content stretches underneath the vertical scrollbar. Giving the entire DIV a
padding-right of about 20px, or giving all content elements a margin-right
of 20px, usually helps. But your content, except for the table, already has
a nice fat margin-right, so I thought the table was the culprit.

If removing the width doesn't help, try setting padding-left or margin-left
as described above. The table may try to ruin your day by stretching the
full 100% regardless (and thus causing new spacing). In that case you might
try to remove the table completely. As far as I can see it isn't necessary.

> >See: http://www.magical.me.uk/villanatura/healthAndPaint.htm
>
>I *think* the culprit is the table with width=100%. It stretches all the
>way up to the right border of the DIV, which is located *below* the
>vertical scrollbar, thus causing the horizontal one. Try removing the width
>altogether or giving it a lower value.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
W3C DOM Compatibility Table, expanded & updated
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?version5.html