[thelist] Caching style sheets

Rob Whitener rwhitener at DesignOptions.com
Wed Mar 26 09:33:02 CST 2003

I may be way off the mark, but can you use a nocache with a meta tag? Or do
these have no bearing on external files such as CSS and JS files.

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Koutoulas, Pete [mailto:PKOUTOUL at Fayette.k12.ky.us]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 9:57 AM
To: Thelist (E-mail)
Subject: [thelist] Caching style sheets

I just had a horrible experience -- I was showing a co-worker something on
our website and I noticed some styling information was not being presented
properly. The problem turned out to be that her browser's cache settings was
causing it to use a cached copy of my external style sheet. Changes that I
had made over the last month were not showing up. A refresh fixed the
problem but how can I avoid this with other users?

With hyperlinks and images, I employ the bogus querystring hack (appending
something like "nocache=032603" to the end of a link) to a recently changed
page when it is crucial that they see the updated version. Obviously
changing the style sheet link tags in all my pages whenever I make a change
to the style sheet is not practical and defeats one of the main reasons for
having external style sheets in the first place. There is probably a simpler
solution but I can't think of it. Ideas?

___________________________________
Pete Koutoulas, Website Manager
Fayette County Public Schools
701 E. Main Street
Lexington, KY 40502
Voice (859) 381-4138
Fax (859) 381-4763
webmaster at fcps.net
www.fcps.net

This student or staff email originated from Fayette County Public Schools in
Lexington, KY.
Please report instances of abuse or inappropriate content to
postmaster at fcps.net

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/