[thelist] download.com.com

Tobyn Baugher toby at rsux.com
Thu Mar 27 00:59:35 CST 2003

On Thursday, March 27, 2003 1:47 AM +0100 liorean <liorean at f2o.org>
wrote:

> I think it's quite brilliant - they've gotten around one of the most
> usual problems with urls - that people add .com one time too many.
> It's the same as many companies that register commonly mistypes, like
> gogle.com-->google.com.

While I can see where that would come in handy, it also has the effect
of allowing them to set cookies that persist across their entire
network of sites by setting them for .com.com. I've got two cookies for
that domain in Phoenix.

That seems the most obvious effect of redirecting users who go to
site.com to site.com.com rather than vice versa.

Personally I don't like that because it stinks of big brother :(,
though I guess there could be a convenience factor in there too for
people who make more regular use of a multitude of their sites.

Anyway, I don't have any evidence that they do anything bad with their
information. Just the conspiracy nut in me. Feel free to ignore him.
He's silly sometimes.

Regards,

Toby

--