[thelist] doctype mess up

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 16:36:16 CST 2003

--- Mark Groen <mark at markgroen.com> wrote:
> On March 28, 2003 at 13:57, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
>
> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
> >
> > and use XHTML coding practices. (Which he keeps calling 'xml' 1.0
> > syntax'). Why - I have no idea.
>
> Unless you are going to actually need your site to run as an xml
> document, then this is not nessasary but it does make you look
> cutting edge [...]

Yeah not worried about that. I'm aware of XHTML syntax, I was more
concerned that he wants to use the XML declaration with an HTML *4*
DOCTYPE. I want to know if this combination will cause any problems.
We have to sync up with another part of the project which is using
Epicentric (now owned by Vignette) that *supposedly* produces XHTML
markup. From what I've seen already, its garbage.

> Your header info example is incomplete...

Right, I know - and again its the wrong doctype as well.

> Kind of a waste of time if you aren't going to use it for actual
> xml use, especially if everything else on the site already is valid

> xhtml transitional IMHO.

Everything else WON'T be valid XHTML. I have no idea if they will
ever use any of this for XML.

I guess the question comes down to why use the XML declaration with a
HTML4 Doctype? Is there a valid reason for it? I'm trying to give the
guy the benefit of the doubt that he knows something I don't. The way
I see it, we need to either switch to the XHTML doctype or remove the
XML declaration - and I also though the XML declaration could be
problematic in some cases, but I can't seem to find that info right
now...

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();

http://www.maccaws.com/

"That's not art, that's just annoying." -- Squidward