[thelist] doctype mess up

Eike Pierstorff eike.pierstorff at dynamique.de
Fri Mar 28 18:03:56 CST 2003

>Yeah not worried about that. I'm aware of XHTML syntax, I was more
>concerned that he wants to use the XML declaration with an HTML *4*
>DOCTYPE. I want to know if this combination will cause any problems.
>We have to sync up with another part of the project which is using
>Epicentric (now owned by Vignette) that *supposedly* produces XHTML
>markup. From what I've seen already, its garbage.
>[...]
>I guess the question comes down to why use the XML declaration with a
>HTML4 Doctype? Is there a valid reason for it? I'm trying to give the
>guy the benefit of the doubt that he knows something I don't. The way
>I see it, we need to either switch to the XHTML doctype or remove the
>XML declaration - and I also though the XML declaration could be
>problematic in some cases, but I can't seem to find that info right
>now...

I'm doing the same thing (XHMTL and HTNL 4 doctype) for a client - he needs
well-formed Code for his Content Management System. The Output of the CMS
is tag soup (HTML 4.0 + proprietary tags), but it needs well-formed code to
transform it to XML and apply different XSLT style sheets ( so all I have
to do is plain HTML, which comes easier to me than writing
XML/XSLT).   Maybe Epicentric works in a similar way.

-- eike