[thelist] uninstalling Internet Explorer 6 (to install IE5)?

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Mon Mar 31 13:03:13 CST 2003

Sarah wrote:
> Is it possible to uninstall Internet Explorer 6 in order to install an
> older version, like IE 5 or 5.5? If so, how would you go about this
> safely? I just tried to uninstall IE 6 using instructions from the
> Microsoft Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293907),
> and the computer was really messed up (Explorer would not start up, so
> of course no desktop) - thankfully I was able to fix it.

Well, don't know about safely, but in addition to other suggestions, you
might want to consider partitioning your hard disk and installing an
older version of Windows on it. I know its possible to do, you just have
to get the partitions sorted out.

I would highly recommend a 3rd party paritioning program, like Partition
Magic Pro. Version 8 (I think its the latest one) has excellent XP support.

Since explorer is intertwined in all sorts of windows components, its
always risky to attempt a downgrade.

--
Best Regards,
Burhan Khalid