[thelist] PHP Books

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 16:21:13 CST 2003

> Can anyone recommend some introductory books for learning PHP?

Wrox's Professional PHP 4 is what I learned from, but Wrox have recently
gone out of business so if you want it, buy it while it's still available.
And although the first parts were fine, I've really struggled with the
chapter on sessions and cookies even though I understand the concepts.

Also, I don't know the technical terms for it, but the book tells you that
variables such as those passed from an HTML form will be available as
straightforward variables, but policy seemed to change shortly after the
book was published as we're now supposed to access those variables through
an associative array. So, a recommendation, but not without caveats.

Maybe someone could let us know when PHP5 might be available as I'm told it
will have lots more object oriented features, and if it's coming out shortly
maybe Joel would prefer to wait.

Cheers