[thelist] FTP with Dreamweaver over SSL

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Mon Mar 31 20:13:01 CST 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Martin Kuplens-Ewart wrote:
> I found that one - was just hoping that someone might actually have
> succeeded in using (you're right I meant FTP over SSH).

I do this with an SSH client for called PuTTY, (the best one for Windoze,
in my opinion), which can be obtained at www.putty.nl

Before making the SSH connection with PuTTY, select the "Tunnel" option in
the configuration window to setup a port on your local machine to forward
to the FTP port on the remote machine. The tunnelling setup can also be
saved with the profile for each connection.

When your SSH connection is active, you then have a secure tunnel.

Assume you've set a tunnel where local port 1234 forwards to remote port
21 on the remote machine.  You would use host localhost with port 1234 in
your Dreamweaver FTP setup.  PuTTY intercepts this traffic and tunnels it.

--
Kelly Hallman
http://wrack.org/