[thelist] PHP Books

Lachlan Cannon lach at illuminosity.net
Tue Apr 1 01:22:55 CST 2003

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>>Can anyone recommend some introductory books for learning PHP?
>

> Wrox's Professional PHP 4 is what I learned from, but Wrox have recently
> gone out of business so if you want it, buy it while it's still available.
> And although the first parts were fine, I've really struggled with the
> chapter on sessions and cookies even though I understand the concepts.

FWIW, I got a copy of this book a short while ago (a few months) and
still haven't been able to struggle through it, because what I have read
has been very badly done... I suppose it stems from my dislike of the
way they write their books.. ie get a shitload of authors to do a few
chapters each so it gets out quickly. IM(not so)HO, it makes the books
suck. Coding details aren't uniform, chapters don't use techniques other
ones recommend, or don't do ones other chapters do recommend.... and of
course every so often you get a brilliant chapter followed by a
braindead one.

I found learning from the manual, and just coding was much, much better.
--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/