[thelist] Re: Side-by-side Divs

djinn at darkdesigns.org djinn at darkdesigns.org
Wed Jun 18 14:48:12 CDT 2003

> >Boy, I'd be confused too ;) I didn't realize that a div was always
> 100% (don't use them alot - can you tell?). I thought it would be as
> large as it's contents. Is there a way of specifying that a div be as
> large as it's contents that is well supported?
> > Jean Peterson

>no.  And in the case of its contents being text, it will default to 100% of
its parent's width.  If you let us know what you are trying to do and what
the div contains, then we can probably help.
another thought: the span element might be more what you are looking for...
again it will depend on its contents.

>-stephen caudill

I'm trying to put a series of definition lists in divs because often they
only take up 1/2 or less of the page. This way they will make "two columns"
when there is room.

Jean Peterson