[thelist] [CFMX] How to implement a search feature?

Raymond Camden jedimaster at mindseye.com
Thu Jun 19 10:43:06 CDT 2003

> 1. Is there something like the java string tokenizer in CF? A
> simple way to take a string and split it into different words.

Yes, look at the List functions in the docs.

> 2. I know in sql you can do a search using like and the
> wildcard character. Is there a way of doing this with a list.

You mean something like ...

	where col like '%AAA%'
	or	col like '%BBB%'

	etc

> i.e. select * from foo where col in ('%word1%', '%word2%', etc...)

I don't think that is what you want. You want to match where word is in
col, not vice cersa.

> and have it act in the same manner as using like?
>
> 3. Does anyone know of any good links to tutorials on doing a
> similiar thing?

I think you only really need to take a look at the basic CFML docs for
lists. Also, there is a search example in the example applications.

===
Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master for Mindseye, Inc
(www.mindseye.com)
Member of Team Macromedia (http://www.macromedia.com/go/teammacromedia)

Email    : jedimaster at mindseye.com
Blog     : www.camdenfamily.com/morpheus/blog