[thelist] icons for error pages?

Koutoulas, Pete PKOUTOUL at Fayette.k12.ky.us
Thu Jun 19 10:48:10 CDT 2003

On Thursday, June 19, 2003 11:32 AM, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

> My boss wants me to give our designer some ideas for icons for error
> pages: 404, 500, system exception.
>
> I already have the message styled in a box, which is colored based on
> the type of error/message. I'm a little wary of adding an icon to the
> mix but he really wants it.
>
> Anyone know where I can look at some good examples?

Tom, sorry I can't help with the icons but I wanted to comment on your
reluctance to use them. We as professional Web developers have it ingrained
in our brains to avoid the gratuitous use of graphics because of extra
download times, clutter, and a host of other good reasons. Heck, I spend a
great deal of my time trying to convince our staff that no, we don't need
all those little jumping and spinning doohickies all over the place.

But this is one case where, IMHO, a tasteful icon would enhance and add
meaning to the page. Icons are best used to give the user quick visual
clues. Frequent users of your site will appreciate the icons in this case,
that let them know at a glance that an error has occurred. Good luck.

___________________________________
Pete Koutoulas, Website Manager
Fayette County Public Schools
701 E. Main Street
Lexington, KY 40502
Voice (859) 381-4138
Fax (859) 381-4763
webmaster at fcps.net
www.fcps.net

This student or staff email originated from Fayette County Public Schools in
Lexington, KY.
Please report instances of abuse or inappropriate content to
postmaster at fayette.k12.ky.us