[thelist] ADSL Connection Troubles

Jason Handby jasonh at pavilion.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 07:10:00 CDT 2003

Hi Lucy,

> My ADSL set-up has broken!

<snip>

> I don't really know what else to try.  I've looked at help files, but they
> don't help me!  Any ideas would be much appreciated.

In your situation I'd probably do the following:

 - phone Zen and ask them whether they are having any technical problems
that might be affecting you;
 - check for any announcements in the Zen topic in the message boards at
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/ (incidentally that might also be a good place
to ask for help);
 - ask anyone you know locally who is using Zen whether they're having
problems (although this isn't a 100% reliable indicator);
 - disable the firewall software on your PC (I gather you've tried this
already);
 - check the modem manufacturer's website for any driver updates;
 - uninstall and then reinstall the modem drivers (after having got the
updated driver, if any).

(A tip here: after you've uninstalled the drivers you can delete the
relevant INF file from the inf/ subdirectory of your Windows directory
before reinstalling from CD (or from the downloaded update). This will force
Windows to reinstall the driver, rather than using the copy it already has.
But make sure you don't delete the wrong INF file! You can probably figure
out the name of the INF file by looking on the modem's install disk to get
the filename.)

I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound like your local network (crossover cable
/ connection sharing) is the problem. If it was, you'd probably find your
modem would connect OK but then you wouldn't be able to see the internet.
>From what you've said it sounds like your problem is connecting in the first
place...

Good luck!

Jason