Claiming Design Credit (was Re: [thelist] [Site Review] Gemsnjewelry.com)

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Mon Jun 23 11:22:05 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm not criticizing Jeff at all here, just asking a question....

I notice a statement on the old version of the site that states:

> Powered by AlphaShop Network Services

with a link to AlphaShop.

On Jeff's rewrite, it says

> Developed and powered by Jeff Howden

with a link to Jeff's site.  No mention of AlphaShop.

It seems that the original site was developed by someone other than
Jeff.  This would include the visual appearance.  Admittedly Jeff has
entirely rewritten the underlying files, but he has (on purpose) almost
exactly duplicated the visual appearance of someone else's design...

Well, in a nutshell -- is it proper to do that?  Is it ethical?  If I
had didn't know better, I would have thought that Jeff had designed the
appearance as well as everything else, seeing as it was "developed" by
him.

Again, there is no disrespect intended.  The question is pertinent to
me as I am currently working on a similar type of rewrite project.

Regards,
Steve