[thelist] International Hosting/E-Commerce

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Mon Jun 23 13:37:35 CDT 2003

Hi Kyle,

As an "international" user I can probably answer these.

Message from Kyle Murphy (6/23/2003 01:00 PM)
>I have a client that wants to try to sell their product to an International
>audience, so I know of two issues that have come up in my head:
>
>1.) Hosting
>- Does the site need to be setup on an International Host?  Someone
>mentioned this to me, and I had never heard of it.  Is this even necessary?

No. Maybe you should ask that person what an "International Host" is cause
I've never heard of it either.

>2.) E-Commerce
>- They want the user to be able to select US Dollars or other (yet to be
>determined which other currencies).  I realize that I would need to get some
>Currency Convertor.  Is there a Web Service available that does this?

This might be a good place to start looking.
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

They may have tools you can incorporate into your site.

>- Also, will I need to have a Merchant Account & Payment Gateway that will
>accept my multiple currencies??

No. Once the credit card is issued through one of the int'l providers -
VISA, etc - the currency conversion will be done by the cc company as far
as I know.

Hope this helps.

regards.
-marc

--
Carnival 2003 in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/