[thelist]

Erik Bennett erik at crystalitydesigns.com
Mon Jun 23 14:23:46 CDT 2003

Hi Evolters!

I have a request for some PHP software for a direct mail list (don't worry,
not SPAM :-)) But I think it's kind of specialized, so I'll put the
question to the general populace. Here's the current setup:

8 billion (ok, more like 500+) "groups" in Microsoft Outlook Express. Each
of these groups are broken up into regions of the country, some with as
many as 100+ groups for one region. When a new seminar (my client develops
and produces seminars for lawyers) is ready for a certain location, an
email goes out to the region. When the inevitable "take me off your list"
comes back they are dutifully deleted by hand from the group. Bounces
aren't even seen because of the setup of the server, which is a problem as
well. If the head guy decides they want more people in one seminar, a $50
discount email is sent to the group again, but before that is done, the
email marketer goes in and manually deletes those who've already registered
so they don't receive the notice again. One last attempt will be made with
a $100 discount email, once again, removing those who've already
registered. Once over, all the registration deletes are readded by hand.

Holy waste of time, right? That's what I thought. So is there anything out
there that would allow me to handle this situation, or will I have to roll
my own? I'd definitely prefer PHP (Linux) since that's what's on our
hosting box but we are in the process of installing the company's first
actual server, which is a Win2K Small Business Server box. Doing something
on that box would be my last resort.

It's critical to have the ability to filter people out for the discount
emails. Otherwise this is just another PHP listserv solution (which I
originally thought it was, until someone pointed out the discount thing).
Or is this not something with special cirumstances?

TIA, and if you need any more info just let me know!

Erik