[thelist] DHTML Text Zoom Menu

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Tue Jun 24 08:24:20 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:54:13 +0100, Taz wrote:

> I am looking to make a menu (I assume in DHTML) which the user can drag
> over wanted text to which it would increase the size of said text within
> the menu (which would be transparent) to a pre-defined size.

Do you mean a menu or a magnifier? A menu is a series of links, it
doesn't make things bigger - unless the menu options include font size
options (and in that case you wouldn't drag the menu over text to
change its size, you'd select the options).

> A good example of the a menu similar is Microsoft's 'Page Options'
> available in their MSDN:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dncscol/html/csharp01212002.asp?frame=true

Which is a series of links with no dragging possible... unless it
depends on some MSIE specific API.

If it is a magnifier you are after, then creating a site specific one
with client side scripting is a very bad idea. It wouldn't be reliable
(because different browsers have different levels of scripting
support), and it would only work on your site.

Magnifiers exist for most systems, so pointing your users towards
something that will work for _any_ website _and_ applications other
then their web browser would probably be a wiser course of action.

http://www.magnifiers.org/links/Download_Software/Screen_Magnifiers/
has links to a bunch of screen magnifiers.

--
David Dorward                                     http://david.us-lot.org/
         Redesign in progress: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/