[thelist] any word on IE7?

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Tue Jun 24 15:57:05 CDT 2003

Chris W. Parker wrote:

> It seems like it's been a really long time without even so much as a
> hint as to what's coming after IE6. Has anyone heard any rumors about
> it? Standards compliant?

    Or perhaps non-existent. Initial reports were that no further
stand-alone versions of IE will be produced, and that each new release of
the browser will be strictly tied to a new OS version [1], (e.g. Longhorn c.
2004/2005). Microsoft suggested that further improvements to the browser
will involve technical abilities that can only be derived from a technically
improved OS.
    Microsoft quickly threw some dust in the air over the validity of that
claim, but didn't actually deny it [2], suggesting some internal indecision.
The interesting fact is that IE releases have long been loosely tied to new
OS releases: IE 5 with Windows 2000, IE 5.5 with Windows ME, and IE 6 with
Windows XP. But this connection has never been exact, and never exclusive.
    On the other hand, it is not inconceivable to me that an OS-exclusive
approach would permit the erosion of IE's commanding presence in the browser
market (the term "market" used loosely, since many browsers are distributed
for free), as newer, better-equipped browsers might begin to attract users
who find their three-year-old copy of IE 6 grown a bit stale. It's hard to
imagine Microsoft allowing IE's user base to bleed away in such a fashion,
since it is implausible that users will upgrade their OS in order to upgrade
their web browser.
    So, it seems less than likely to me that we have heard the final word on
the fate of Internet Explorer. But in the meantime, standard warnings about
holding your breath.

1. http://news.com.com/2100-1032-1011859.html ,
   http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/chats/trans/ie/ie0507.asp
2. http://news.com.com/2100-1032-1012943.html