[thelist] CSS & IE 5.5 Puzzle

Buffington, Michael michael.buffington at office.xerox.com
Thu Jun 26 08:48:18 CDT 2003

I've been wrestling with this problem for a bit, and have come to the conclusion that I can go no further without help from thelist.

The following HTML works smashingly in the newest IE and Moz browsers, yet IE 5.5 has a big problem with it. I'll do a quick paste of it, then explain my intentions:

<head>
	<title>Untitled</title>
</head>

I've used every doctype from 4.01 transitional to XHTML Strict to no avail, in IE 5.5, the tables spans 100% of the _screen_ and not the DIV that it's contained within (the desired effect).

It's a requirement that the table within the div span 100% of the div, and that the div have a right margin of x pixels. The borders are simply to reveal how the browser is rendering the div and table.

Any ideas?

Michael Buffington