[thelist] Photoshop tutorial for a rubber stamp effect

Geoff Sheridan web2k2 at premonition.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 14:38:53 CDT 2003

At 3:08 am +0700 28/6/03, Bird wrote:
>Hi,
>Anyone have any ideas of how to create the following text effect.
>Client wishes the following:
>Large text stating Just Published, like a rubber stamp.
>Is there a type face for this kind of effect? Or anyone know of a
>tutorial on how to achieve this look.
>Thanks

Off the top of my head:

Write text with text tool.
Make a layer below.
Fill this with white.
Select text layer, from layer palette select merge down. Say yes to
rasterize text.
You now have a layer with black text on a white background. The
filter which follows requires that there are pixels and not
transparency in the background.
Use the filter>brush strokes>spatter filter on this layer.

Voila.

You can make it more authentic by shifting individual letters
slightly and by surrounding the text with an outlined box (before the
splatter).

I have used this technique a number of times with success.

Fonts do exist which already imitate this effect - I have never found
them entirely satisfactory.

HTH

Geoff