[thelist] Creating a link around an image using DOM

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Jun 27 15:43:43 CDT 2003

Howdy...

I'm working with IE 6.0 only. Anyone here successfully created
links/anchors around images using DOM?

I'm trying to enhance the functionality of a basic JS-like WYSIWYG editor.
I'm having problems creating an anchor tag around a selected image. I have the

   selectedRange = top.opener.document.selection.createRange();
   selectedHTML = selectedRange.htmlText;

returning the selected HTML, but when I try to use

   top.opener.document.execCommand("CreateLink",false,document.LinksForm.LinkURL.value);

It does not create the link around the selected image, it creates a new div
wrapper. If I have "text selected" versus images, the above command works fine.

Any clues or pointers to good DOM How To's are appreciated.
---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys