[thelist] Photoshop tutorial for a rubber stamp effect

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 02:47:06 CDT 2003

> From: "Bird" <bird at koolfish.com>
[...]
> Client wishes the following: Large text stating Just Published, like a
> rubber stamp. Is there a type face for this kind of effect? Or anyone
> know of a tutorial on how to achieve this look. Thanks
[...]

i'd recommend you use illustrator or freehand (or coreldraw, or
whatever draw program you have) to create this 'stamp'... that way
you can re-use it on any size PSD, as well as use it on printed
documents and have it look clean (insofar as an image of a stamped
block of text is clean)... vector better than raster in this case...

now, go buy the font and expense it back to the client (pending their
approval, of course)... the font you want is called, you guess it,
Rubber Stamp... there are two versions available, differentiated by
price and foundry...
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/letraset/rubber-stamp/
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/rubber-stamp/

now use it in your draw program to render the text you want... if you
want it to have one of those stamp boxes surrounding it, use parts of
existing letterforms to build it (like the vertical from the "I", for
example)...

now, reduce it to curves/paths as black ink and save it out as an EPS
(or whatever makes you happy)...

then import that into Photoshop, and you're good to go... just drag
that layer on to any image, change it's color, scale it, and you're
ready... and when you have to do a print job, drag that same EPS into
your InDesign (or whatever) document, change the ink, scale it, and
you're good to go...

--
yet another book:
  The Web Professional's Handbook