[thelist] Finding the position of a relative DIV

Chris Evans chris at unhappyfun.com
Mon Jun 30 22:06:47 CDT 2003

Jay Blanchard wrote:
> Nope, because it is relatively positioned according to the current
> height/width of the browser real estate. It is in effect a moving
> target.

I've done some more googling, and found some references to
Element.offsetTop/offsetLeft that seem promising, and some other
references to document.defaultView.getComputedStyle for earlier versions
of Mozilla.  I've also seen references to layer.pageX, so it seems as
though it may be possible.  The browser knows how to render the moving
target - hopefully the position is exposed in an API somewhere.

Chris Evans
http://www.fuseware.com