[thelist] Re: links for how to do useability testing?

Laura Carlson lcarlson at d.umn.edu
Tue Jul 1 06:39:55 CDT 2003

--On Friday, June 27, 2003 9:40 PM -0500"Chris Johnston"
<chris at fuzzylizard.com> wrote:

>> I have a website/flash application that I am going to be doing
>> some useability testing on.

--On Monday, June 30, 2003 3:04 PM -0500 Tom Dell'Aringa
<pixelmech at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Laura, this book is a must have for you:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0789723107/104-1359911
> -6099130?vi=glance>
>
> "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug.

Thanks Tom, "Don't Make Me Think!" is a good beginning text on
usability. I own it and have it listed in the Web Design References
Book page at <http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/books> under the "Usability"
anchor.

Chris, if you are interested in Testing books, you will find some more
indepth usability testing texts under the "Evaluation" anchor on that
page <http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/books>.

I've especially found these testing books helpful:

Barnum, Carol M. Usability Testing and Research (Part of the Allyn &
Bacon Series in Technical Communication), Longman, 2001.

Dumas and Redish. A Practical Guide to Usability Testing, Intellect,
1999.

Rubin, Jeffrey;. Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design,
and Conduct Effective Tests, John Wiley & Sons, 1994.

Laura

Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN  55812-3009