[thelist] Question...

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Tue Jul 1 18:53:25 CDT 2003

Shawn K. Quinn wrote:

> Font sizes should *never* be specified in px or pt in an author style
> sheet, as the user knows best what size font fits best with his/her
> environment and viewing situation. Line height should *never* be
> specified in px or pt because if the user may well have a larger font
> size than you are expecting.[...]

    Not all informed web developers would agree with such absolutist
statements, although as a general principal I would certainly agree that
great caution should be exercised in the use of fixed-size fonts, especially
in body text. All too many sites use fixed-sized fonts carelessly, and that
should be a source of concern for conscientious designers and developers.
    But I strongly believe that there are times when a developer may
reasonably choose to sacrifice some level of usability in favor of a
particular design consideration by using fixed-sized fonts. The critical
point is that the developer needs to understand the potential consequences
of such a decision, and act circumspectly.

James Aylard
evolt at pixelwright.com