[thelist] ASP: File DSN vs ODBC Driver

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Jul 1 20:24:02 CDT 2003

Use the OLEDB Provider instead. Much more stable than the ODBC driver.

<%
strConnect = _
    "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
    "Data Source=" & Server.Mappath("/databases/myDatabase.mdb;")
%>

The latest Jet service pack (v7) can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com?id=282010

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Casey Crookston" <casey at thecrookstons.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 5:44 AM
Subject: [thelist] ASP: File DSN vs ODBC Driver

: Hello all,
:
: I'm hosting with a new company not worked with before (client's wish) and
: I'm having trouble getting the ODBC connection to work to an access
: database.  They are hosting on Win2k with IIS 5.0, and at the error is:
:
: -----------------------------------------------
: Provider error '80004005'
: Unspecified error
: /~test/includes/connection.asp, line 16
: -----------------------------------------------
:
: with line 16 being the call to the ODBC driver.  The support team are a
: bunch of lumps with bolts for brains and the only thing they can say about
: it "Huh. Weird.  I dunno what that's about."
:
: But anywho, I dug around on Google and Microsoft and found a work around:
: change the name of the ODBC driver in the ASP file, load the page (and
: obviously get an error) change it back to the correct driver name, and the
: problem goes away.  (If anyone can offer any further advice/comments/input
: on what this is all about that would be great!!!)
:
: So here's my real question: I would like to use a File DSN instead of an
: ODBC driver so that I have full control over the db connection and don't
: need to depend on undependable support, but I've never done this before.
: I've done a few searches on Google but as of yet I've not found a GOOD,
EASY
: TO UNDERSTAND tutorial on how to create and use them.
:
: Many thanks in advance,
:
: Casey
:
:
:
: --
: * * Please support the community that supports you.  * *
: http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
:
: Evolt.org conference in London, July 25-27 2003.  Register today at
http://evolt.org.uk
:
: For unsubscribe and other options, including the Tip Harvester
: and archives of thelist go to: http://lists.evolt.org
: Workers of the Web, evolt !