[thelist] excuses to use OOP (in PHP)

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Tue Jul 1 21:01:39 CDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 19:39, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Paul Bennett <mailto:paul at teltest.com> wrote:
>
> > As part of my next work project (large) I would like to have an excuse
> > to use / learn some OOP, to see what all the fuss is about. I will be
> > building a custom cms from the ground up (essentially), and so have a
> > wide range of "shtuff" I can use it on. Anyone have any ideas what I
> > could use OOP for? Or should I stick with me old functions and stay
> > "uneducated"

Do be aware that PHP's OOP is pretty limited.  It has no access
protection, it's not dynamic, it copies all objects instead of using
references.  All this is fixed in 5.0, but that's beta.

Even then, PHP has a very static object model that's not much more than
syntactic sugar on top of a procedural language.  It's just now possible
to have accessor methods that are even vaguely useful, and the
pass-by-copy is still a big problem.

I guess just be aware that it's not really OOP in PHP ;-)

[As a side note, make it known that I am an OO programmer who uses PHP
entirely procedurally.  I use Ruby when I want to do OO work.]

Ari